Saturday, February 20, 2010

What is the Sound of One Hand Clapping?

People often ask me, "What is the sound of one hand clapping?" This is a common Zen Koan. Some surmise that there is no answer. Some believe the answer to be silence. Others say it means everything and nothing all at the same time. It is, in truth, a philosophical riddle meant to focus our minds and drown out the external noise of everyday life.

If asked this question again, I would propose an alternative question to the person asking me. "What is the sound of one fist punching?" Then I'd punch him in the face.

2 comments:

  1. Punching seems to be a theme for you, particularly in the face. I'd offer you my face (god knows I probably deserve it), but it's too damn pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Believe me, if you deserve it, you'll get it. That's how the Universe works. This ain't no, "...hills are alive with the sound of music..." farce. This is the real world. People get punched....in the face!

    ReplyDelete